Wednesday, June 16, 2010

First Installment

This year, we decided to invest in a share of an organic farm, so we can eat healthier and support a CSA (community supported agriculture). Our share will take us through 20 weeks....3/4 a bushel at a time. For our first installment, we received some purple bunchining onion, garlic scapes, asian greens, butterhead & romaine lettuce and snow peas. I couldn't wait to get started...but had to get creative. What could I make? I decided on an asian salad, which was a real hit. I washed and ripped the lettuce and greens, sauted the snow peas briefly in a bit of sesame oil and followed up by sauteing some slivered almonds in a bit of the same. I added mandarin oranges and sliced chicken. Finally, I made a yummy dressing that tastes like the one on Applebees oriental chicken salad. The dressing was easy: 3 TBSP honey (Michigan made Good-Rich Honey), 1.5 TBSP rice wine vinegar, 1/4 cup Hellman's light mayo, 1 tsp sweet/spicy mustard (Napa Valley Brand), 1/8 tsp sesame oil. Shake, shake, shake and you're good to go!

1 comment:

  1. What a great use of so many ingredients for your first shipment! It looks so yummy. If you're interested in making your own mayo in small amounts, I have a recipe that I use. We don't use mayo much in our house and we don't buy store bought, so it works well when we only need a little.

    http://iasmindecordoba.wordpress.com/2009/02/11/recipe-homemade-mayonnaise/

    ReplyDelete