Friday, July 23, 2010

Ratatouille

A traditional French Provencal dish that dates back to 18th century France where it grew in popularity because it was easy to make with abundant summer ingredients and could be served warm or cold.
Tonight I found myself with an abundance summer ingredients. Whirls of corporate activity recently have caused me to take a brief hiatus from this new venture. I'm back...if only for an evening. What a nice diversion.
Traditionally, eggplant is used in this dish, but I opted for extra zucchini, which is what I had on hand:
In large skillet, saute 1 TBSP crushed garlic and 1 cup coarsely chopped onions in 1/4 olive oil. I sauteed them on low for 10-15 minutes.
Add 3 cups of chopped yellow squash/green zucchini, saute for 5-10 minutes on low.
Add 1 chopped yellow pepper, 2 chopped tomatoes, 1 bay leaf, 1/2 tsp thyme and 1 tsp chopped parsley. Simmer for 30 minutes.
Add salt & freshly ground pepper to taste. Top with fresh Parmigiano Reggiano and enjoy! Bon Appetit & Happy Summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment